Since I mentioned it

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157629586266869/
or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157629586266869/

Most of these photos haven't been cleaned up much, I just did a quick search
and post so people who needed photos for the memorial could find some quickly.
It's an interesting challenge, one that most of our friends and family will
likely face one day, because for the 22 years that I've known John, he was
always the one taking photos at all the events.

Here's something I wrote about him for the local Linux User's Group email list:

John Dubois, aka spcecdt, passed away this morning, losing a several year
battle with cancer.  Many, perhaps most, of the people on this list have no
idea who is, but everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude, as someone long
instrumental in the Santa Cruz geek community.  These days, when $30/month will
get buy you broadband at your home, along with hosted email, and even a
website, it's almost hard to remember when an email account was a rarity.

I met John at a b-geek party at Bonny Doon Beach, in October of '89, the
weekend before "The pretty big one".   At that point, he was already running
deeptht as a public access host, providing shell accounts for free to pretty
much anyone who asked.  He paid, out of his own pocket, for  a ridiculously
large number of phone lines, so that people could dial in to access their mail.

For a while, when uscscc was decommissioned, John even provided me with free
dial-up uucp access, so that I could run my own email server.

For many years the Armory, one of the original geek houses in Santa Cruz, was a
cultural center of the Santa Cruz geek scene. The parties at the armory were
epic in scope, and hard to describe.  You could stand in one spot and reach
people arguing technical details of operating system design, cute drunken
coeds, and someone logged into the net on one of several serial terminals in
the living room. Over the past decade, or so, until John's health became too
poor, there was a weekly potluck hosted at the Armory every Friday evening.

John was well regarded for his technical skills, not only with computers, but
home made pyrotechnics (there's a reason the house was called "The Armory"),
and even the facility with which he made Ice Cream using LN2.