On Mar 19, 2012, at 3:53 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

> I don't think that the new electronic shutter/mirror designs allow for a
> mechanical lockup mechanism, and a redesign is probably beyond the means of
> Pentax or any other manufacturer, not to mention part of the reason shutters
> are so much quieter than they used to be makes a mechanical lockup very
> unlikely unless you want to go back to loud clack of the LX mirror slap,
> which seems horrendously loud in retrospect.

I thought they were quieter because the mirrors are half the area, and with
modern materials probably a lot less than half the mass.

I'm surprised you couldn't just have some mechanical catch that holds it up.
Especially since in live view the mirror would be up and the shutter open
anyways.  But then, I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer, so I
don't really know about such things.