From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Walt
Gilbert
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:08 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT: Advice & recommendations on selling prints

In all honesty, it's because I'm as broke as the Ten Commandments. I'm
in a bit of a catch-22 where I can't afford to do my own prints unless I
sell enough prints to be able to do them. It's going to be hand-to-mouth
for the foreseeable future, so I'm forced to do things in the least
affordable way in order to have any hope of ever being able to do it
affordably.

But, if I ever do get to that point, I'll be sure to look into those
options. But, for the time being, it's beyond my grasp until I can claw
my way within reach.

-- Walt

On 3/24/2012 10:55 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
> Why not invest in a decent printer? Printing is, to my mind, an essential
part of the photographic process and digital tools give you complete
control. When you leave the printing to someone else, they are free to alter
your vision. You can now get the superb Epson Stylus Photo R3000 for $599 at
B&H, after rebate.They still have the earlier R2880, which is nearly as
good, lacking only the auto-selecting of black cartridges for matte or
glossy. Its $449.95 after rebate. I paid nearly double for mine a couple of
years ago. The R2000, which performs best on glossy papers is $389 after
rebate. All can print up to 13 x 19 borderless or 12 x 18 with a border. And
they deliver superb prints.

> P)aul
> On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Walt Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I'm planning to start relatively small -- not going over, say, 8x10 at
first. My main concern is that the prints look nice and are on appropriate
paper. Wally World seems to offer a range of services from "Here's your
picture" to "Give us a couple of extra days and then you can have a glossy
picture". I'm mostly looking to simply get prints that are suitable for
framing for the time being, and then stepping up to gallery-type prints
if/when I start producing work that justifies it and there's any kind of
demand for it.

>> As of now, my composition is such that I still do more cropping than I'd
like, and I'd hate to get a large print made only to discover that the
resolution is sub-par.

>> -- Walt
>>
>> On 3/24/2012 10:24 AM, Jack Davis wrote:
>>> Can you afford a pro lab? I do all my own printing up to 16X20. I've
found the price for having these larger prints done (from CD's)
significantly less expensive than they once were. Example 16X20 'prox $35
these days. Had been about twice that, back in the film days, when that
often included a scanning charge.

>>> Jack

a print and I was wondering if any of you might have any suggestions for
good resources to help figure out who to use for the printing, what to
charge and all that jazz. I really haven't the first clue as I've always
just had small prints made up at Wally World -- occasionally an 8x10, and
the resulting print is about as predictable as you might expect.

>>> Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
>>>
>>> -- Walt
>>>
>>> -- PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>>> PDML@pdml.net