I arrived home this evening and fired up my MBP 13", dropped a DVD in
to rip (want to watch it on the iPad, so I rip them into an MP4 file)
with WinX Ripper for Mac and started the ripping process. I did my
accounting, started Lightroom 4 and imported a dozen new photos into
it, edited them, output some JPEGs, annotated them with Photoshop CS5,
posted them to DPR, did some other stuff. The rip is halfway done now.
Activity Monitor has always had 40% green showing, even with Lr,
Safari, WinX Ripper, Photoshop, and my text editor up, running and
working...

I wouldn't worry too much about memory, really. The MBA13" does just
fine with Lr4 and 4G RAM.

And what's this silliness about "Apple being weird about telling the
memory limits"? Just go to the Apple site and look up the technical
specs for any system. EG:

  http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

It's right there in Processor and Memory. All current MBPs support up to 8G.
Older models, to to the Support tab, find out how to discover what
model you have, then find the tech specs for that model. Easy.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com