On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 11:56:43AM -0400, Mark Roberts wrote:
> Bruce Walker wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Jack Davis <jdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Fenway appears not to have given you permission to take that.
> >
> >Ha!  +1  :-)
>
> Oh, he looks all haughty and imperious, but he's the most skittish and
> fearful cat I've ever known - really very sad. We adopted him and his
> brother from an animal rescue group who picked them up abandoned at
> around 10-11 weeks age. We don't know what happened to them but it
> must have been fairly traumatic judging by their behavior. Fenway in
> particular is afraid of just about everything, though he's getting
> gradually more social. His brother Muddlety is much more outgoing,
> though still totally afraid of strangers.

Hang in there.  We have a family of tabbies that were like that for
the first six years.  Then suddenly, about a year ago, one of them
ventured up onto the bed at night (although after a short while
he had to jump back down in case something sneaked up on him).
Now two of them spend the night (and a good part of the day) on the
bed, and the third one stops by for a quarter of an hour at bedtime,
and the same again (or a little longer) in the morning.

There again, we've also got another cat we got a year after them.
In all that time I've never managed to pick her up, and only very
rarely been able to stroke her (and then only for a few seconds).
I describe her as a cat who lives with us, not a cat that we own.

When we got her she was no more than six or seven weeks old, and
we know her full history.  The shelter volunteer who had her from
a few days old to when we took her is one of the best nurturers
I have known, so there is nothing in her background that would in
any way explain this - she's just an anti-social creature.o