One thing I've done a couple of times, which worked out very well, was what I
call a portrait party, where you get a group of friends together, and do
portrait sessions with each of them.  It ends up with a lot less down time when
nobody is being photographed, set up time is shared among four or five people,
and the net result is that I can charge a lot less per person.  One big
advantage of it is that it is a lot of fun, people have their friends there,
and you get a lot more "honestly happy smiles" rather than the forced "smile
for the camera" grimaces.

I've had a few people ask me about photographing kids lately. I've only
photographed kids a couple of times, just enough to understand how much more
difficult it can be.  The first problem is that you only have a few minutes
before their good mood is used up.

What follows is a very blue sky idea, not worked out at all, but I think it has
promise, and I'd love feedback from people with more experience on the subject
than I.

I wonder how it would work to do a portrait party for kids.  Have snacks, toys,
games etc for the kids that aren't in front of the camera. Do everything
possible to make it a fun afternoon, with the photography being part of the
fun.  Possibly even having costumes and props to get kids hamming it up, and
maybe even challenge kids off camera to make the kids on camera smile and laugh.

It's quite possible that since each kid would be in front of the camera for
just a short period of time, I could likely even do one of these for something
like 8-12 kids, and not have to charge lots of money per kid.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Simply pointing out that I'm completely out of my
skull crazy?