Interesting idea... Off the top of my head -  a few thoughts:

- You would want to partner with an experienced kid-wrangler.  8-12
kids is a lot to manage, especially when the fun/silly/exciting
photography is going on.  Without someone directing traffic, it could
easily devolve into a lot of crazy.  And not the photogenic kind.  ;)

- Your idea sort of reminds me of the "photo booth" concept you see at
weddings these days.  There's a camera/lighting set-up in the corner,
maybe some props, and guests are invited to ham it up for the camera,
and they get a printed photo of themselves as a party favor.  That
might be something to explore as an add-on to other events for kids,
like bday parties... it could fly in certain markets.

- On a related note,  I have a photographer friend who does just that
at his own kids' school events.  Middle school dances, that sort of
thing. Though I'm not sure if he gets paid to do so, or if he just
volunteers as a parent...

- Also calls to mind "mini-sessions" -- where a portrait photographer
has a set-up, in a studio or on location, and they book several
back-to-back quickie (10-15min) portrait sessions.  Minimal background
& wardrobe options.  Maybe your party idea could work with the senior
portrait crowd?

Best of luck - keep us posted!

:)
-c
(Christine from Boston, owner/manager of three kids.)