> So Tom, are you saying that the only reason you and others use Pentax gear is
> to get a lower price? I, and at least a few others, > use Pentax because we
> prefer their product to Nikon, Canon, and other brands.
>
> stan
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Tom C wrote:
>

>> So basically all the camera companies will be jamming their increased
>> prices down our throats.
>>
>> How many people will be willing to pay the premium for a Pentax vs.
>> pay the premium for a Nikon or Canon?

I can't speak for others Stan, but for myself that would essentially be a yes.

When I was making less than 1/4 of my current pay, I bought a used
Pentax MX and 4 used lenses for a total of $150.

Then seven years later when I wanted to upgrade to an AF body, it came
down to a PZ-1p or a Nikon 8008S. The Pentax was spec'd almost
identically, cost a bit less and had an on-body flash. The Nikon would
have required another $350 or so for a flash unit, plus I already had
all the legacy lenses (which I rarely used after having an AF body). I
also bought Linda a ZX-10 and Tamron K-mount AF zoom.

Then in 2004, the Pentax *istD came along. What was the pattern I
would follow? I've bought 5 Pentax lenses since then including a $1000
Sigma 50-500.

At this point, with the mind-blowing D800/E, the question becomes do I
spend another disposable $XXXX.XX on Pentax or do I spend a disposable
$XXXX.XX on Nikon, funding a portion of the purchase with the sale of
my Pentax gear (lenses)?

Who is producing the products I would rather 'dispose' additional
money on now? Pentax with the 645D, the Q, the K-01, or another
manufacturer?

I'm not dissing Pentax, disrespecting Pentax users, or even the image
quality one can obtain with Pentax gear. If that were the case I'd
have left Pentax long ago.

Pentax has been a bang-for-the-buck brand since the 90's if not
before. When one begins to feel less bang...

Tom C.