Actually Bob, my wife was the one that pushed me over the edge on the big lens thing. We had been to Alaska numerous times and I'd always come home with some decent images but bemoaned the fact that I could have gotten much better/more images if I only had the 'big lens'.

My biggest at that time was a 300 f4.5 FA. One Christmas I noted a 600 f4 for sale at KEH and told my wife about it. So she says what are you waiting for - go get it. By the time I got to call KEH, it was gone. I called the regional Pentax guy and told him what I wanted & asked if he knew of any used ones available. He called back with good news/bad news - the bad news was there were no used 600s available as far as he knew, but the good news was he had a brand new 600 FA sitting in his office and he would sell it to me at his cost !

Another $1300 later & I had the gimbal head, lens backpack and tripod needed to haul around and use the 600. Its been to Alaska with me several times and I've never regretted having it. But with the way airlines are now I doubt I'll ever fly with it again. Back then I could get it into the overhead on most planes. I had flown with it to South Dakota when 911 occurred and because the airline couldn't guarantee I could carry it on board, I rented a car and drove it home.

I've had several inquires about selling it but so far have refused. Its one of those things I could never justify but sure enjoy using.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Sullivan" <rf.sulli...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Mr. Bunnell on lens pricing...

Ken,
Earlier this year, Lynn & I visited her old hometown, the Quad-cities.
We spent an hour or two at Mississippi Lock & Dam #14 on the Iowa side.
The Bald Eagles were nesting above the parking lot, and 2 or 3 carloads
of photographers in showmobile suits were wandering about.
They had big glass and gimbal mounts on their tripods.
When I see all those folks with big glass, I get jealous.
(And Lynn doesn't think I'm crazy when I want one of those.)
Regards,  Bob S.