On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Darren,
> Good for you!  Enjoy using it and know it's not obsolete, just superseded.

Words of Wisdon, Bob! Thanks!
That's the thing though: I really don't think it has been superseded
*yet* which I find impressive.
Most objective analysis seems to find it still to be the Best APS-C
DSLR currently available.
Frankly, give it's acclaim, I think that Pentax would be wise to not
discontinue it and to simply offer new cameras around it (let the
market decide).

I realize that new Pentax models are probably imminent, but I don't
think that necessarily means they are better cameras - at least
regarding the things that I think are most important. For example,
most of the recent DSLR advancements have been made with videographers
in mind (and more megapixels).  Taking into account the physics of
sensors, I find it hard to believe that putting 50% more pixels on a
sensor (of the same size) is NOT going to result in a lowering of the
high ISO performance (more noise).

Mark Roberts opined the other day that the 16MP of the K-5 represents
a sort of "sweet spot" and I think that is quite possible. We won't
know until we have other models to judge from, but I'm pretty
confident that as long as the K-5 functions as it should, it will
probably be my last APS-C camera. I'm still hopeful that Pentax offers
a FF model "down the road" but if/when they do I won't be one of the
early adopters. I like to wait and see what Real Users say.

On that score, the K-5 remains impressive. 75 people have reviewed it
on Amazon. NO one has rated it lower than a 3 (very unusual for any
product). 3% of reviewers gave it 3 stars (I suspect that most of them
work for Canon or Nikon). :)  10% gave it 4 stars; A whopping 87% gave
it 5 stars. And Amazon reviewers are no anomaly. Look at the reviewers
at B&H or Adorama and you'll find the same thing. 176 reviewers at B&H
and it has an overall 4.8 stars out of 5. "Short battery life" is the
only "con" listed. Similar at Adorama, but only 25 reviews: A
consistent 4.8 stars.

The most recent review at B&H:
Title: "Enjoying photography again"
By WayneJohn
from: Minnesota
About Me: Semi-pro Photographer
"I love this camera. My previous camera was a K2000, and I have been
looking to upgrade for a while now. People told me I would be better
off just spending the money on lenses. I finally bought a K-5, It's
the best decision I've made. This camera is a joy use. I use alot of
manual focus lenses, and the bright viewfinder makes it so much easier
to focus. Highly recommend this camera."

In short: CAN'T WAIT.