Believe it or not, Walt, but aspiring models often have trouble
finding photogs to help build up their portfolios. So they publish
cellphone and P&S shots, often from their friends, just to get the
minimum quota needed to open an account at Model Mayhem.

Once you have a photographer account there with a few decent shots in
it, you'll likely get inquiries from such models looking to shoot.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Walt Gilbert <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> prefer to be in a "cool picture" than look beautiful in them.
>

> -- Walt
>
> On 4/27/2012 2:59 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>> Walt, MM lists 7 young ladies who live within 25 miles of Paduca,
>> Kentucky who will work TFP (ie trade-for-photo).
>>
>> All you need to do is come up with an idea for a shoot, eg theme,
>> location, wardrobe, any props, and approach these folks with your
>> shoot description. If they think your shots will benefit their
>> portfolio they'll agree to it. Be prepared to show some of your best
>> work (edit brutally) and they better have people in them. :-)
>>
>> Here's one who is a fitness and bikini model:
>> http://www.modelmayhem.com/1648238
>>
>> If you read her resume it says "some experience". If you examine her
>> portfolio you see that she's had one fitness set of pro-level shots
>> done and a whole lot of snapshots. She needs more good shots for her
>> portfolio.
>>
>> She's a good candidate to approach. She may want gas-money if it's a
>> fairly long drive to the location.
>>
>> On a first encounter they'll likely want to bring a friend. You can
>> put the friend to work holding a reflector or helping keep the model's
>> hair tidy.
>>
>> Anyways, good luck!

>>> Thanks, Bruce -- for the advice and the offer to help out in finding
>>> models.
>>>
>>> I'm in a bit of a sticky situation in that regard, living in a town of
>>> about
>>> 350 people, and the biggest town within reasonable driving distance being
>>> about 35,000 (Paducah, Kentucky). Though, despite the lack of a big
>>> population center, I don't really have that much trouble finding people
>>> pose for me. In fact, I constantly have people asking me if I'll take
>>> pictures of their daughters/sons/grandkids, etc. The biggest challenge is
>>> getting people to follow up after they ask me. I've come to the
>>> conclusion
>>> that, for a lot of people, when they find out you're a photographer, they
>>> just like to say things like that as a means of small-talk.
>>>
>>> Normally, when someone asks me to do something like that, I stipulate
>>> that
>>> I'm not by any means a pro photographer with a studio and lighting and
>>> backdrops. At that point, they say, "Oh, I don't care about that! I'm
>>> sure
>>> you'd do a great job!" Then, they never bother contacting me about it.
>>>
>>> Which is really OK with me, to be honest. Whenever I try to talk someone
>>> into posing for me (like the young lady I mentioned), I'm looking to take
>>> very casual portraits. I manage to get decent results whenever I do it
>>> completely impromptu -- even when they're shy or reluctant. I just try to
>>> catch them in unguarded moments. (I'm not quite sure I'd be all that
>>> comfortable in a formal "sitting" situation, myself.)
>>>
>>> I guess my approach could be best described as getting someone to simply
>>> somewhere (or tell me where they're going to be), let them just do what

--
-bmw