Great Blue Herons are interesting in that they are (I read somewhere,
so it must be true) the largest bird to be indigenous everywhere.  And
I’ve seen them all over the world.  Here in Vancouver they’re not that
hard to photograph if you go to the right not-too-busy piece of
waterfront and show some patience.  What’s fun is if you can find one
that’s got a juicy hunting ground and watch it at work.  I’ve seen a
heron snag six fair-size fish in maybe 20 minutes.  Their special
magic is rocketing along just a few feet above the water going fast at
sunset to wherever it is they spend the night. Now that would be the
photo capture of a lifetime.  -T