Monday, March 11, 2002, 5:36:09 PM, gfen wrote:
g> I'm considering another body to add to my collection (actually, to replace
g> the ZX-50, which gets passed on to a friend).

g> The LX is out of the question. I'm not spending that much, but I notice
g> people continually chatting up the KX and the MX, and was wondering which
g> one people tend to prefer. I was intrigued by some messages in the best
g> body thread going around that the KX has got all the features of the LX,
g> except for the metering.

g> Any have some input? Oh, wait.. I know you all have some input, so does
g> anyone want to share some input?

As much as I love the features of the KX, I would advise against it
for low-light photography. IMNSHO all Pentaxes before the M series
have rather bad focusing screens, especially compared to their
contemporaries (if you have seen e.g. Minolta SR101t screen, and
that's as old camera as K2 or KX //IIRC). I have a K2DMD and the screen is dim and
grainy compared to my LX. It's fine (=excellent) for good light shots,
but only average for lowlight shots, and worse for lowspeed lenses. The
more modern screens are way better. Of course, that's unless you are
shooting with really fast, 1.8/80 or 1.4/50 lenses or faster, where
even the old screen is good. But still, a new style screen is way
better for picture clarity.

Another thing to watch for and try yourself on the KX is the shutter
speed dial. On all the K2s and K2DMDs (which use the same style dial)
this was rather hard if not impossible to turn with my index finger
only when I am looking through the finder, which defeats the purpose
of the dual match-needle metering, where you can see the selected
shutter speed (both K2 and KX have this). OTOH, on the LX (and
supposedly other M cameras) this dial is much easier to turn, even
with slight pressure of index finger only. As the KX is strictly
manual mode camera, you need to change the dial quickly if light
changes.

That said, I think the KX is great for normal or slightly bad lighting
situations, and it's excellent camera for any landscape/tripod/...
photography because of the great MLU feature. I am not saying that
it's bad - I loved the K2DMD when I got it, it was SOOOO better than
the Praktica I had before. But when I got an LX, I realised the newer
focusing screens are simply better. I still use the K2DMD as a second
body with great success, and using fast (1.8/80 and 1.4/50) lenses
it's easy to focus even in the dark. It's with telephotos it's rather
bad IMO.

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek