What about a dot of grease (Vaseline comes to mind, but something more lens friendly) to hold the ball in place, then becoming a lubricant for it after assembly is complete.

-----Original Message----- From: Walt Gilbert
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 3:38 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Lens repair question

On 5/1/2012 2:23 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
The hardest part is keeping the little ball bearing (that engages the
detents and provide the tactile feedback) from whizzing away when you
replace the ring. If somebody has a good trick for that, I'd love to
know what it is. (I can tell you that it is a good idea to work at the
reassembly [if not the disassembly, also] within a generously sized
transparent bag (think gallon sized Zip-Lock?). That way, if the
bearing skeedaddles you can hopefully find it again within the
confines of the bag.

Thanks, Darren.

Do you suppose putting a small strip of scotch tape over the ball
bearing before disassembly would hold it in place while transferring the
mount over to the other lens, or am I thinking in a completely different
direction here?

-- Walt