On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Jeffery Smith <jsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is clearly a task best left to people who know what they're doing. I
>> thought maybe, for once, it might be a reasonably simple fix. I'll just
>> leave it be and use it as an M lens until I find that "Free Lens Repair"
>> place nobody's been talking about.

Well, it depends:
a) you never learn anything if you don't try
b) if a tab has broken off inside the aperture ring (they are famous
for this) then you are probably having trouble moving it to some
apertures *at all* (let alone getting it all the way to the A
setting). Presumably this is why you are thinking about a repair in
the first place. This means it doesn't even have full "M" lens
functionality.
c) the *worst case* scenario is this: you lose the ball bearing or
can't get it in place correctly. However, you HAVE now been able to
repair the tab - returning your complete motion back to the aperture
ring. The only thing you have lost is the tactile "clicks" provided by
the ball bearing. It may also spin more freely than you like. One
(admittedly ghetto) option would be to somehow secure it in the "A"
position. The manly solution of a bit of Duck Tape (duct tape) comes
to mind. :)
In any event, if you get yourself another ball bearing or want to take
another "run" at it, you can always do so in the future.