On 5/2/2012 9:15 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Bob Sullivan
1) If you don't need to fix the A50/1.7 you have now, don't disassemble it !!!

I understood he has two broken lenses with different problems & he's proposing to disassemble them to see if he can merge them into one functional lens as a back-up for his good operational A50/1.7.

Basically, what I really have is a completely unusable lens (the one I dropped and destroyed) that has working aperture control contacts, and a copy of the same lens that is perfectly usable, but has had the aperture control contacts removed -- presumably scavenged to use in another lens.

So, the real risk is in the possibility of rendering an otherwise usable, albeit one with less functionality, useless in an effort to give it full functionality. Essentially a bird in hand vs. two in the bush proposition.

-- Walt