I've cc'd my friend Candace on this email, so you can reply-all if you have
something to say that would be of particular interest to her. I suspect that
the topics below will generate discussion not only of interest to her, but some
interesting digressions on technology, making compromises, and possibly even
some sophomoric paronomasia.

She had been asking me about getting better low light performance out of her
gear, what lenses to look at, or whether she'd be better off upgrading from her
K-m.  She lives in Sacramento, I live in Santa Cruz, and we met up at a
friend's birthday party in Berkeley Saturday.  Over the course of the evening,
I let her play with an assortment of my lenses, and loaned her an M50/1.7 and a
supertak 50/1.4.  Since a lot of the end of the evening was our playing around
doing impromptu portraits of a couple friends playing guitar, I'm not terribly
surprised that she liked my 77/1.8 ltd so much.  That is exactly the situation
where that lens really shines.

Prices have gone up a bit on them since I bought mine.  I spent several months
following ads, doing web searches and the like until I found it for about $700,
at either Abe's or Prodigital 2000. Today, they seem to be up to about $1100,
though KEH seems to have a couple of used ones for under $750.  If anyone
happens to know of any particularly good deals on them, from a store that's
actually likely to deliver, I'm sure that Candace would be interested in
learning more.

In a similar vein, has anyone tried the Sigma 85/1.4?  It's bit less expensive,
two thirds of a stop faster, has it's own focus motor, and is a bit heavier.  I
definitely have mixed feelings about some of my sigma glass, when they work,
they're wonderful.  Sigma is also excellent at specifying lenses that I'd love
to have, though you can sacrifice a bit of sharpness around the edges for the
wider aperture.

http://www.google.com/search?ix=heb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sigma+85+1.4#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=sigma+85+1.4+pentax+&oq=sigma+85+1.4+pentax+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.3...349029.349029.4.349752.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.va18x6RXcS4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5fcdc9aab960680&ix=heb&biw=1431&bih=1020

And while we're at it, I'll also point to the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar  etc.
Korean 85/1.4  manual exposure, manual focus 85/1.4 that is about half the cost:
http://www.google.com/search?ix=heb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sigma+85+1.4#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=korean+85+1.4+pentax+&oq=korean+85+1.4+pentax+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.3...19368.20908.5.21376.7.7.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.yAvrV9nOzLU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5fcdc9aab960680&ix=heb&biw=1431&bih=1020

As to camera bodies, Candace seems to have two usage profiles where performance
counts.  One is night time parties with the "burner" crowd, or even at burning
man itself.  In these cases, I think that the critical factors would be:  low
light performance, dynamic range, and weather sealing (on the playa which is
very, very dusty).   In these situations, my gut feeling is that she'd be best
off with a K-5, a DA* 16-50, and a DA* 55/1.4  (and possibly a DA* 50-135),
though there's a lot to also recommend the sigma 30/1.4 for low light work.
And, for when the playa is stupid dusty, a K-1000 a roll of kodacolor 200,
would be able to share some lenses with the DSLR.

Since Candace also cares about size and weight, there's probably an argument in
favor of the K-01, but the lack of dynamic range vs the K-5 and weather sealing
count against it.  We've been talking about how the K-5 might be getting close
to the end of its run, when would Pentax/Ricoh be likely to announce a
successor?

The other usage scenario for Candace is backpacking and hiking.  Since she's a
backpacker that brings along a camera, rather than a photographer that goes
backpacking, she tends to bring along her point and shoot rather than her DSLR.
 She mumbled something about the K-m weighing as much as her tent, sleeping
bag, stove and three days of food combined.  OK, I'm exaggerating a bit.  My
guess is that for backpacking, she might be better off with something in the
micro 4/3 system.  It wouldn't have the weather sealing, low light performance,
or dynamic range of an APS camera, but I suspect that the newest u4/3 bodies
probably out-perform her K-m.   Of course, someone with an unlimited budget
would probably want a Leica M-9 for backpacking.

Would she likely be better off getting a u4/3 system or a high end point and
shoot for backpacking?  It's my impression that some of the good point and
shoots actually perform on par with most of the u4/3 bodies, and weigh a good
bit less.