Larry Colen wrote:

>One thing that I don't understand is how a handheld light meter would work
>significantly better with digital than taking a photo and looking at the
>histogram.  Or, for that matter, if it's an important shot, why not just
>bracket.  Drop $100 on a light meter, and that will buy you a terabyte of
>storage.  Plus, if you bracket in digital, you always have the option of
>combining the frames in post production.
>
>I could almost see some justification for using a hand held meter if you are
>shooting JPEG, only have a 1GB card, and you camera doesn't have the ability
>to display histograms or delete test shots.

I expressed this opinion a couple of years ago and Bill Rob explained
how light meters are invaluable for determining lighting ratios (among
multiple light sources) in studio photography.

Of course, for the kind of photography I do a light meter would be
just extra weight to carry, as you noted. In fact use my DSLR as a
light meter when shooting with my Pentax 67 (which has the non-metered
prism).