On May 16, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On May 16, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>>> More strong evidence that a change is in my future. The D800E is
>>> looming large. Sigh.
>>>
>> Nothing to sigh about if you can afford it. They're all just cameras.
>
> I'm sighing because I can't afford it, but kinda need it, or will
> sooner rather than later.
>
> I used to poo-poo the whole FF vs crop debate/fanboy-rant, but not
> anymore. The necessity for raw, clean megapixels becomes clear when
> you start retouching studio shots.

I was surprised to read that you're lacking clean raw megapixels, Then I read
further, saw that you're shooting with a K20D, and i all made sense.The K-5 is
a huge improvement over the K30D, particularly in terms of noise. I do plenty
of retouching at pixel level and the K-5 images are extremely clean. I had
noise problems with both the K20D and the K-7, but that's just a vague memory.
To me, a camera with a different mount doesn't count as a backup. I have to be
able to twist the same lens onto a new body if you get a failure. And I don't
want to stop and think about the controls.

Borrow a K-5 and give it a try. You'll be amazed at the difference.

If that can't work for you, I'm probably going to shoot seven or eight
portraits in the studio in the next week or two (assuming the client signs the
estimate). If you wish, I'll send you a RAW file for pixel peeping. Of course
any RAW file that's shot at close to native ISO, studio or outdoors, can
provide a good look at how clean K-5 images are.

Paul