On 20/05/2012 18:50, John Sessoms wrote:
From: "Collin Brendemuehl"

If you were going to be restricted to 1 bag max wt 30 lbs, what would
you carry as a minimum photographic kit?

The 30 lbs has to include all clothing & other necessities.

The stuff in my pockets doesn't count towards the weight limit, nor does
the clothing I'm wearing.
Well, I'd budget 20 lbs to clothing and toiletries.
The more comfortable I am, the better.
Then 10 lbs to photo gear.
I guess it would depend on what I am shooting.
My 4x5, 1 lens (tessar type) and 6 film holders
plus a very light tripod
weighs no more than my DSLR and 3 lenses.
If I'm shooting landscapes, forget the DSLR.
If I'm shooting people & events, forget the 4x5.

But to the DSLR & 3 lenses ...
FA24-90 -- a practical and excellent lens, though just a bit big.
A50/2.8 macro -- sharp all the way around.
FA35/2 -- perfect walking-around lens.

I'm trying to go to Scotland to photograph a steam train that runs from
Fort William to Mallaig.

Bucket list stuff.

If I got *really, REALLY* lucky, I might be able to catch a steam
excursion on a different train from Cambridge to Fort William. Not
counting on that one, but I hope I might get a photo or two as it comes
past.

The catch is I will be traveling Space-A [free ride in an otherwise
empty seat] on a military aircraft from a base in the US to an RAF base
in England. That's where the weight restriction comes from.

If there's any gear you might want to borrow, shout.

--
No fixed Adobe