All of the 2 gigs cards I bought for the K10 have failed, but over years of shooting and tens of thousands of read/right cycles. I won't mention the brand because I don't feel like the cards owed me anything - they simply wore out. They lasted through my K10 and K7 years and failed more recently in the K5. The failures were orderly - I'd pop in the camera and get an error message that the card was not formatted. A couple times they formatted Ok but then failed later, other times they refused to format at all.

A sudden failure of what sounds like a fairly new card - like you had - is not something I have experienced.

MCC