I wish I had enough knowledge and experience to be of help on this, Larry. The only thing I can really offer is that, in my personal experience, I noticed that the biggest improvement in my photography happened when I started shooting almost exclusively with my manual primes.

It's pretty limiting, but I found the effect to be something akin to running with ankle weights. I began to slow down and pay much closer attention to focus, composition, etc. Yes, I missed out on certain shots as a consequence, but I also started finding shots out of sheer necessity that I normally wouldn't have noticed.

That said, I've been in an awful slump of late, myself. More than anything, I just need to get my ass out of the house and go shooting. But, when the heat index is around 110-120 degrees and there's not a cloud in the sky, you can find all kinds of excuses not to do it.

Hope you figure out what's ailing ya soon.

Best,

Walt