For anyone following the saga, an update from the thread starter:
well, so far, so good.

I installed 4.1RC2, played with it a bit--seemed okay. The very next
day Adobe released 4.1 Final, so I installed *that* and have been
working with it since. The huge delays are gone, thank goodness. I'm
still trying stuff out, but so far it's working well for me on my
aging iMac, 6GB RAM, Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

The Develop module is very nice to use. I've created some great images
using it and can safely say it's an improvement over prior Lr
versions. (Not that they were bad at all.)

If anything goes off the rails, I'll be back to rant. :)

--
-bmw