I'm running 4.0, Godfrey, the current shipping product. Thanks for
pointing out that 4.1RC2 -- I'm going to try it ASAP.

This morning I was editing an image that I had retouched in CS5, I
made a virtual copy and turned that B&W. It was all working
flawlessly. I thought maybe I'd done something, like re-optimizing the
catalog, to fix it. But no! After I shut down and restarted Lr just
now it came up in like-a-slug mode again. Argh.

--
-bmw