Not sure why the strong negative reactions on this. It should really
come as no surprise to anyone that different "outlets" have different
standards for what they want or will accept for publication.

Photojournalistic places will want as much realism as possible and
photographers who shoot for AP (for example) have been "axed" for
altering that reality (such as the recent story involving a guy
clumsily cloning out his own shadow from a photo).. National
Geographic is simply stating *their* standards for publication. They
aren't making value judgments on your work, unless you are submitting
(or hoping to submit) to them. Anyone who writes for a particular
publication needs to understand (or request) that publication's Style
Guide and hopefully be familiar with the tone of writing that the
publication selects. To send them something outside of that tells them
that you haven't even *read* their publication enough to become
familiar with what they typically use.

You have to know that curating/editing this stuff for publication
takes a lot of time... time that somebody is paying a salary for. If
you can prevent such stuff from being submitted before someone has to
spend any time on it, then you'd do it too.

If most of us are honest with ourselves, we'd have to admit that we'd
be delighted if an image of ours was "discovered" or requested by
National Geographic magazine. You may think it will never happen, but
it is happening right now with some of my son-in-law's work. He didn't
come to them. They came to him. No idea if they discovered him through
Flickr, or Getty, or Alamy or his personal blog
www.bigstormpicture.com, but the point is that anyone could have this
happen to them.

Being aware of the existence of style guides, such as the one Tim
posted, is valuable if you want to submit work that will get you a 2nd
look.

None of this means that I can't enjoy Instagram-ing my images or
dialing the contrast & saturation to eleven, or producing garish "HDR"
work, if that is what pleases me. But it means that the version of the
shot that I will submit to an individual place had better be in line
with what they want, if I want it to meet with *their* approval.