On 6/1/2012 2:28 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
If most of us are honest with ourselves, we'd have to admit that we'd
be delighted if an image of ours was "discovered" or requested by
National Geographic magazine. You may think it will never happen, but
it is happening right now with some of my son-in-law's work. He didn't
come to them. They came to him. No idea if they discovered him through
Flickr, or Getty, or Alamy or his personal blog
www.bigstormpicture.com, but the point is that anyone could have this
happen to them.

First off - those are some damn impressive shots on your son-in-law's website! I've never seen weather like that except in CGI movies! Amazing...

Second - I agree that is National Geographic's call about what they want to publish or not, and is only fair to participants to tell them up front what to expect. While the tone of the piece may be a bit snarky, it probably was not the most snarky thing said on the internet on whatever day it happened to be published.

The closest I ever got to National Geographic was the web supplement for National Geographic Explorer -

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngexplorer/0509/articles/gallery_1.html

They cropped the photo in a way that I don't think improved it, but then they didn't over sharpen it like I did for my website:

http://www.markcassino.com/galleries/new/IMGP1690.htm

- MCC