From: John Francis <jo...@panix.com>
Sent: June 7, 2012 6/7/12
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Olympics sets limits on amature lens size.

Only lenses over 30cm prohibited?  That's quite permissive by today's standards.

for the US Figure Skating championships the limit was below that; I think
the 50-135 might just have been allowed, but the 60-250 definitely wasn't.

But with a 30cm guideline the A* 300/2.8 (even with the 1.7x AF adapter)
falls within the length limits. As does an A 400/5.6 (but not an A*/2.8).
I wouldn't want to be shooting anything much larger than that hand-held.

The rules are at least partially there to prevent you being a dick and
blocking the view of the person in the seat next to you by sticking a
honking great camera right in their field of view.

If I were going to the Olympics I'd be giving serious consideration to
an OM-D with the 75-300 - that's a whole lot easier to carry around.