On 15/6/12, Steven Desjardins, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Some of you have heard about the infamous "orb" problem with the Fuji
>x10 camera.  In short, if your scene has a bright light source like a
>specular reflection or a streetlight at night the sensor will render
>the bright spot as a sharp edged circle, especially at iso 100.  I
>gather most CMOS sensors do this to some extent but the problem was
>pretty obvious with the X10.  The web reaction became so severe that
>Fuji developed a replacement sensor and offered to swap it out.  I
>just got my x10 back from Fuji and it's a whole new camera with a new
>serial number.  Given that the new batch of SN starts with "2" it's
>going to be hard to sell the older ones that start with a "1".  This
>could be really expensive for Fuji.  Just to mention, the problem
>didn't bother me too much but some test shots show that the orbs are
>much better and about the same as the E-PL1.

Thanks for the info Steve.

I'll look into getting mine sorted - although never noticed the orbs
that much. But like you say, residual value will be higher so worth doing.

Interestingly, I've just bought a GoPro wi-fi bacpac - even though I
don't have a GoPro yet!! It means that when I do get one (next month
hopefully) I can beam live viewfinder info to my iPhone for use when
setting up the camera remotely on the front of (say) a canoe, or when
using remotely on a pole etc. Quite exciting!

For those that don't know what a GoPro is, the video on the GoPro home
page is entirely watchable:

<http://gopro.com/>

--

Cheers,