From: Steven Desjardins

"The worst case of acne I've ever seen. "

I was fascinated by the tiny scratches on the metal.  I'm doing this
because I want to take some pictures of an electrochemical growth
pattern that we do in a lab on fractals.  The quarter is easier to
experiment on since the fractal  grows between two pieces of
plexiglass and can't be moved.

BTW, here's the shot using the M50 macro f4 at f4:

http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-4Fxp8V7/0/XL/quarter-4-XL.jpg

Not bad, but a little soft on the very fine details.

If it's a circulated coin from your pocket, the "fine details" themselves are soft.