On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Walt Gilbert wrote:

> On 6/26/2012 3:03 PM, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>> Walt, as several people said, - it's a very nice colorful (albeit B&W)
>> photos!
>>
>> As for the flash, - if the flash head allows tilt/swivel,
>> depending on the room, I'd try to bounce the light of the ceiling or
>> even swivel it 180 degrees (so it would point backward).
>>
>> Also, I found that in this type of setting, if the flash is capable of
>> "A" setting, it works better than P-TTL.
>> (At least with my Metz 58, which, for this reason, I like better than
>> Pentax AF 540FGZ. I also think that the small forward looking flash on
>> Metz 58 helps for catch lights when the flash light is bounced of the
>> wall or the ceiling. That's assuming that it does what I think it does.)
>>
>> Igor
>>

> Thank you, Igor!
>
> I was using the built-in flash on my K20D for those shots. Unfortunately, I
> don't have a flash with an A setting -- just one that I can use manually,
> which is fine if I have time to make several attempts to get the shot just
> right. Unfortunately, with the very uneven lighting in the bar area, and the
> nature of the shots I'm trying to take, it's just not practical.

You could try making one of my cheap-ass fongdongs, and just leave it at the bar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157606657830875/
AKA "light grenade" because it throws photons in every direction.

It might work even better to make one out of clear plastic, but with a diffuser
on the end so the light getting scattered isn't attenuated quite so much.

> I have used the fingers of latex gloves to diffuse the on-camera flash in the
> past, and it seemed to work pretty well. I just didn't think to take one to
> work with me at the time,

There isn't a condom machine in the bathroom?