Unfortunately, I haven't had enough of the good single malts to be able to judge. I can tell you it's difficult to believe that Royal Salute and the stuff I usually drink (Johnny Walker, Usher's, etc.) are both considered Scotch. The difference is as stark as you can possibly imagine. It's also *completely* different from the 18-year-old Chivas I've had.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford good Scotch on a regular basis. But, for the time being, I'll have to content myself with seizing whatever opportunities present themselves. Beyond that, all I can say is that I'll mourn the final sip that comes out of that flagon.

-- Walt