tom,

I was thinking that it had more to do with getting more even light do
to flash fill moreso than TTL alone.  On the older bodies, metering
for TTL did not include ambient light at all, so most images ended up
looking like dark backgrounds.  With later bodies, ambient light is
taken into account and shutter speeds are lowered to slowest
handholding to allow as much ambient light as possible.  Then the TTL
is just going to fill in where necessary.  That would produce more
even results.

Have you tried using slow films/fastest shutter speeds (1/250)?  If
you did I would think that you would get results that would show the
inherent TTL metering problem of weddings - mostly white in frame -
face gets underexposed - mostly black in the frame - face gets
overexposed.

I have often wondered what the metering pattern is for the TTL sensor
- I'm guessing it is center-weighted.  That could also account for
some differences.

Bruce Dayton