The cars were hauling ass coming straight toward me entering the
hairpin turn then heading camera-left. These two cars were likely
about 3-4 car lengths apart so the lead car was already heading left
fast while the trailing car was still pointed straight toward me.

My shutter speed was kinda low: 1/160th. My back-of-envelope estimate
suggests that at 1/160th of a second, the lead car would move about
2.5 cm if it was going about 30 Km/h relative to me at 45 degrees into
that turn. If the lateral smearing of the license plate is to be
believed, that agrees and is about right.

I was lucky to have anything in focus at all. I had no tripod or
monopod, too low shutter speed, and there wasn't anything obvious to
manually focus on at that low angle parallel to the road surface. I
braced the hood against the chain link fence for stability and
focussed on what I hoped were tire marks in the middle of the track. I
should have maintained the shutter at 1/250th or faster to stop the
lateral movement I think. I could have traded-off higher ISO to get
that.

My entire catch was comprised of near-misses I think.

Glad you found it interesting, Paul! :-)

--
-bmw