On 7/31/2012 5:55 AM, Brian Walters wrote:

Quoting Walt Gilbert <ldott...@gmail.com>:

Hi all!

I haven't done much photography in a while as it's been just too damned hot to get out with the camera for the past month.

Well my excuse is that it's too damned cold to get out with the camera.

It's a wonder that either of us get to do any shooting....

Yeah, I use the same excuse when it's winter up here, too. Though, I do manage to drag it out whenever we have a decent snowfall. But, when it's just a plain, cold, nondescript day, for some reason, the camera just doesn't feel like getting out of the house.

Saturday,
though, was *relatively* nice as it only got up to about 91F with a breeze. As it happens, a bunch of my high school classmates gathered at a nearby home and I was able to get the night off from work to attend the festivities. I took a few pictures, but they were the typical sort of house party photos you see splattered all over Facebook.

There was one shot, though, that I thought Larry would appreciate. This is the girlfriend of one of my oldest buddies from my school days, holding the Storm Trooper helmet he made years ago.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/walt_gilbert/7678227568/
K20D, SMC-F 35-135/3.5-4.5, ISO 800, 1/100

Well done - nice tone to that.
Thanks, Brian. I just converted it to b/w and slid the color-temperature slider in Picasa just a smidge over to the cool side. I like the look of silver gelatin and try to replicate it, but it's hard to get it just right without an example right in front of me to reference.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

I wanted to take more photos of the woman in question as she has some of the greatest tattoos I've ever seen -- and I say that as someone who's not particularly into the ink scene. Also, she was pretty hot. But, inasmuch as she was my buddy's date, I didn't feel comfortable asking her to show me all the artwork on her body.