Bruce wrote:

>With DSLRs just now dropping below $2000, the question is how many people are
>going to pay that for a Pentax? Minolta isn't trying to do it right now. I
>have
>no idea just who is going to be buying that Sigma. It costs too much to come
>out with a product that's obsolete after 2 years and not have it be a sales
>success. (A niche product like the MZ-S can get by on limited sales,
>because it
>can be sold for many years.) I wouldn't expect Pentax to come out with a DSLR
>until they can do it for close to $1000 selling price.

According to the rumors Pentax will release their digital slr in exactly
one week the 22. of Mars. It will cost 1200USD which probably
translate  into a mail order price below $1000.
We will see in one week whether this rumor is true or not. Anyway,
everybody within the Pentax organization expect to see this digital slr no
later than Photokina in September anyhow.

...and BTW I expect people to buy non-Nikon and Canon digital slr to same
extent as they buy film based slr's. Besides, I believe digital may reach a
new market less concerned about whether or not the product have a certain
name.

Pål