On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 9:13 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:
>
>> On 8/14/2012 12:18 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>> http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2012/8/12/pentax-si.html
>>>

>> It's a nice exercise in design.
>
> It's a masturbatory exercise in form over function.
>
>> I sincerely am uncertain as to actual functionality of this apparatus.
>
> It would be completely useless for anyone that uses their camera for
> anything but a fashion accessory, or possibly an autonomous photobot
> that relieves the person holding it of any of the thought processes
> behind photography, except possibly what general direction to point
> the camera and whether their camera looks good with their clothes.

Then you will be quite surprised to hear that cameras with exactly
this level of automation and a complete lack of manual control have
been incorporated into cellphones. And the uptake is surprisingly
strong.

Do you remember the Polaroid SX-70? Entire UI: button to open the
camera, button to trigger shutter. Slot where image comes out. Door to
change film. People loved them -- still do, in fact.

There's a market for a camera where "you point it and we do the rest."
Whether that can actually be achieved in reality is another matter.

--
-bmw