On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 August 2012 01:14, Jeffery Smith <jsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Olympus seems to be hinting that all 43 lenses will be fully usable on m43
>> bodies (via a future adaptor), which is somewhat comforting.
>>

> There have been 4/3 to m43 adapters since the beginning of m43.  The
> Olympus version conveys every function of Olympus 4/3 lenses.  The
> Panasonic version adds the extra function of in-lens optical image
> stabilization which is particular to their lenses and was developed
> outside of the 4/3 blueprint, a bit like RIcoh's independent
> development of aperture control linkage for K-mount lenses.
>
> Despite this you can still use an Olympus adapter between Panasonic
> m43 cameras and 4/3 lenses, because it is the principle of the 4/3
> concept to be a universal fit regardless of brand.  You simply
> sacrifice the OIS function which Olympus gear was never meant to
> support.

Actually, the FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds adapters are identical in
function. Panasonic's in-lens IS on their Elmarit-D 14-50 and 14-150
mm lenses for FourThirds format works fine on the Olympus bodies
(although it is unneeded for all the modern ones which have IBIS).
Panasonic only produced four lenses for FourThirds SLRs anyway, and
only three of them have OIS (the Summilux-D 25mm does not).

Olympus bodies simply don't have the firmware for controlling the
different options of the Panasonic OIS, just like they don't have the
firmware to allow the Summilux and early 14-50/2.8-3.5 or
14-150/3.5-5.6 lenses' aperture rings. The OIS is switched on and off
by a mechanical switch on the lenses, and operates only in Mode 1
(continuous). (The aperture is controlled by standard Olympus on-body
controls.) Did a fine job with my E-1.

All the FourThirds SLR lenses have been fully usable on all
Micro-FourThirds bodies from the beginning with both Panasonic and
Olympus adapters, with the exception of auto-focus capabilities. All
Olympus bodies will support autofocus functions, albeit not
particularly quickly, where Panasonic felt that the AF was poor enough
on most that they limited support to those that at least had some CDAF
logic built into them on the earliest bodies.

The latest Micro-FourThirds bodies from Olympus manage the FourThirds
SLR lenses' AF functions more efficiently so AF performance has been
improved. My understanding is that they might implement a PDAF module
in an adapter to supplement the CDAF and improve focusing speed, like
Sony has done.

Whew, has this discussion moved off the track from the Si ... ;-)
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com