----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Hall
Subject: Re: Why I Love the APS Format

> I can only speculate that 35mm APS never came out for the
following reasons:

> For most 35MM users, APS solved problems no one ever had. What
kind of
> second-rate lamers can't either load a film or count the frame
numbers on
> the negatives properly? APS would also dilute the market for
35MM meaning a
> likelyhood of manufacturers having to build both regular and
APS versions of
> their cameras. Films like Kodacrome 64 could still outperform
anything on
> APS and the archival quality of Kodachrome is I think
second-to-none if
> carefully stored.

When I was working as the production manager of a local
wholesale lab in 1984, we had a bunch of Kodak guys hanging
around for a while asking questions and filling out
questionnaires. It turned out that this was the start of APS.
At the time, the biggest problem we had with customers film was
mishandling, both at the loading stage or at the rewinding
stage. Right up there was not setting film speed correctly, and
not being able to read negative numbers correctly on reprint
orders.
This was in the days prior to DX encoding, and all the extra
edge writing that came to pass because of it, which has added to
the confusion.
The idea of APS was to address all of these problems, by
automating film handling completely, and to obviate the
necessity of looking at negatives by giving out an index print,
with the frame numbers on it.
All of these problems were overcome with 35mm by the end of the
80s, with the introduction of the Minolts FreedomIII, and the
Maxxum 5000 (I think), both of which used a very unique 2 stage
transport.
The world is full of what you so dismissively call "lamers".
These are the same people, I suppose, who could be dismissed as
bad drivers because they have automatic transmissioned cars, and
bad cooks because they use an electric oven, rather than an open
fire.
Or, it might just be that the nuts and bolts of photography are
not important to them. All they want is a good result back from
the lab, and an easy way to choose reprints.

> The basic principles of taking pictures is essentially still
the same as it
> was in Fox Talbot's days; we're still exposing a light
sensitive emulsion to
> capture images; people like Kodak have unfortunately been
trying to reinvent
> that for years. It would make more sense to me to standardise
on 35MM and
> look at enhacing that.

Kodak invented photography as we know it. They are not
reinventing anything, they are trying to take it back to it's
original function, which was to make picture taking as easy as
possible.
It would make even more sense to standardize on medium format,
as the results are superior.

William Robb