At 15:30 14/03/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I think I outsmarted myself here.
>
>I found a lens on German eBay.
>The price was good,
>but the seller would ship to Germany only.

As a regular Ebay-er, both as a buyer and seller I can only add the
following points:

When someone says they'll only accept bids from particular countries, don't
try and bend the rules. People are nearly always willing to be
accommodating and helpful, but sometimes you can try too hard.

If you need to wire money, try using something like PayPal and use credit
cards. I've bought numerous items from the US and personally I just send
cash in a padded envelope (not recommended for expensive items!).

Personally I find Ebay expensive for photographic items and I prefer to
work with a reputable dealer. I must admit preferring to purchase equipment
either new or ex-demo whenever possible, especially lenses.

Kev.