On 8/23/2012 12:07 PM, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
For me, the two main factors speaking in favour of full (or any larger)
format are the bigger viewfinder and the smaller stars around light
sources in my night stuff.

Sharpness, definition and resolution of the K-5 are more than sufficient
for my requirements and I love the dynamic range.

I wonder what the improvements of its successor might be but I doubt
that they'll be a reason for replacing my K-5. Video doesn't matter
here.

Ralf

I have finally resolved not to deal with optical viewfinders any more. My eye-sight is getting progressively weaker to the point that I'd use a viewfinder only for purpose of making a frame. I'd have to rely on automatics for the rest. In fact, the back screen of Ricoh GXR that shows where it focused with the "running ants" focus assist seems to work best for me. Still cannot do proper manual focus with it, but at least I can control somewhat what automatics do for me.

I've visited yesterday a friend of mine and did some shooting of his guests. For most part K-5 just missed focus terribly. The light was dusk. Indoors with sufficient lighting everything was good. The metering wasn't very reliable with few shots being way off the rest. The white balance was pink, though I could correct that in post. The focus was the main culprit.

Obviously it was mostly my fault, but even with this mightily special screen for manual focusing and genuine viewfinder magnifier - no guitar at all...

However seeing the way things progress for Pentax I think they will stick with their SAFOX technology, for good or for not so good.

I do realize that I could turn to the central focusing point, focus and re-compose, but given that I was shooting mostly at f/2.8, it was a lousy proposition to begin with...

Boris