Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:43 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT: Jury verdict is for Apple (vs Samsung)

Rounded corners I think are a relatively trivial issue, though I must admit that I am surprised to see how many non-Apple phones look so much like Apple. You would think that other companies designers could do something other than copy. The part I most strongly react to is the patent(s) relating to the tap, pinch, etc. aspects of the interface. And Apple's statement that it took them three years to develop, and then it took Samsung 3 months to copy that work. I worked on interface design back when we were struggling with early GUIs, issues like natural-feeling ways to expand windows, pop-up vs. pull-down menus, etc. Interface design is a non-trivial process, and Apple deserves a great deal of respect for their continued ability to find good solutions. Good enough that others want to copy what they have done. I can hear the argument "but those are the only gestures that could be used on a touch-screen interface, why should Apple profit from such an obvious trivial detail?" The answer is that what they've done didn't exist before. Why shouldn't they have the benefit of their labors? I wouldn't want an Apple-dominated world anymore than an MS-dominated world. But I do like to see the little guy (Apple) do well and profit from it. And I will cheer on the next set of good ideas as well. Even if, however unlikely it is, that they come from MS or Samsung.

stan