On Aug 28, 2012, at 10:47 , P. J. Alling wrote:

> To even be allowed to argue patent law you are required to be a combination
> of scientist engineer and lawyer, to hear the case apparently not.

My Mom's grandfather's firm spent 9 years trying to find a way for the Wright
Brothers to patent their airplane. They and all others trying to attain gliders
or powered aircraft had never bothered to patent their toys. Eventually, they
all flew.

By the time many others had built planes with flapping sections of the wing
(ailerons) to bank L & R. The Wrights were therefore only able to patent their
original "wing warping" controls. Spent years then trying to sue all others for
patent infringement. Never won a case. They also never ever built another plane
commercially, and were unable to stop all others from building planes with
ailerons for roll control. Their moments of glory were cut short when during a
demonstration of their aircraft for the Army in Washington DC, the planed
crashed and killed the Lieutenant along for the ride.

Sad end. Spent all that time trying to patent a less than optimal control
method.

But they are in the Air and Space Museum.   :-)

It's not that life is too short, it's that you're dead for so long......
— Anon

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com