On Sep 5, 2012, at 1:37 AM, Walt Gilbert <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never tried my hand at long exposures. I did once manage to capture some
> lightning shots using one of those disposable film cameras, years ago. I
> obviously haven't been able to duplicate that success with digital, though.

It was surprisingly easy.  The best shot (the first in my set) was the second
one I took.

The light changed quickly as the sun was setting at the time (oh to have had
some sunset colour on those clouds).  I ended up shooting f/22 for 15 seconds.
Then waiting an extra 15 seconds for the dark frame subtraction to occur while
I missed lots of lightning.  I had to estimate the time between flashes and try
to time my shots so the shutter would be open in time for the next flash.  It
wasn't terribly successful but I managed to get a handful.

I really need to win the lottery and move up onto the hill.

Dave