Thu Sep 6 15:32:34 EDT 2012
Bruce Walker wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:12 AM, Darren Addy wrote:
> >
> >> This morning Ricehigh posted HIS list of guesses (with degree of
> >> certainties)
> >> http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-9-things-that-pentax-is-to-be.html
> >
> > It will be interesting to see how close he is to the truth.  The
> > possibility of a new Pentax flash is very exciting, and would likely
> > be my first high dollar purchase off that list.
>
> I'm a big Pentax fan--I own Pentax gear almost exclusively--which I
> guess makes me a non-rational self-flagellating fanboi, but I would
> recommend you away from a Pentax flash, new or not.
>
> If I had back the cash I sunk into two AF540's and an AF160, I'd buy
> three or four Vivitars or other inexpensive manual flashes *and* a
> van-load of modifiers.

I find Metz 58 (I have af-1) - considerably better and more flexible
than AF540.
Two main reasons:
1. It works reasonably well in "A" mode.
2. It has the secondary smaller flash in front that is useful for
the situations when you bouncing light off the ceiling.

I haven't used all capabilities of that flash, but these features
are useful. I only wish I could switch the modes (PTTL <--> A) via
a slider/button, as opposed to the menu, and that different modes would
keep their settings (say, for the small front secondary flash) separately.

... yet, P(itiful)TTY says it all.

Igor

Igor