That is a terrific image, Tim, and I'm glad you did this little
experiment. It is hard to simulate what you are seeing with a picture
of a picture presented at monitor resolution (of course) but the fact
that YOU are pleased with it tells me all I need to know.

I think that sometimes we forget that the larger an image is, the
greater the distance away that it is to be viewed/appreciated. Yes, I
imagine if you step up and put your face 18" away from a 30x40" print
you will be able to tell a (big) difference between a
small-sensor-produced image (particularly one produced by a backlit
Sony Exmor sensor) and your K-5/K-7/K-x etc. but from a "proper"
viewing distance maybe not so much.