I've never sat next to a window that wasn't so hazed or scratched up that I
could take any photograph worth looking at.

Might be a result of my never having the money or need to fly across the
country with a carrier that takes care of or buys new planes when the older
ones get dirty.

On Sep 9, 2012, at 18:59 , Tim Bray wrote:

> I appreciate all the kind words, but let’s be frank: I’ve been flying
> a lot on business for over twenty years and I’ve never seen anything
> remotely like that out of the window before.  I pointed and shot with
> the point-and-shoot; those mountains took their own picture. -T
>
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com>
> wrote:
>> Tim Bray wrote:
>>
>>> 1/1000 sec, f4.5, ISO 80.  The grain came from some combination of the
>>> plane window, the intervening 5 miles or so of air, the fact that I
>>> had to crank contrast & boost blacks quite a bit to counteract the
>>> aerial bleach-out, and, well, inflating a 3000x3734 picture to this
>>> silly degree. -T
>>
>> That's still a magnificent picture. Very well done.
>>
>> In 2002 or 2003 I did a one-day workshop with Frans Lanting. He
>> confessed that he always kept an SLR with a 28-200 zoom (he was still
>> shooting only film back then) with him on airline flights because he
>> just couldn't resist taking shots out the window of the plane. I got
>> the impression none of his turned out as well as yours clearly did.

If it doesn’t excite you,
This thing that you see,
Why in the world,
Would it excite me?