On 9/8/12 9:22 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

I *loved* my 1986 Honda VFR. Wish I'd been able to keep it in addition
to the Triumph but it just wasn't possible. Honda made every redesign
of that bike worse after 86-87: More and more electronic gizmos,
linked brakes, pseudo VTEC valve system... and now it's a 1200cc
behemoth with shaft drive. Oh yes, and they got uglier every year
after the 86-87 model.

The only Honda I ever lusted after was the RC-30 but I'm glad I was
never able to afford one because they apparently were better race
bikes than street bikes: the hand-laid fiberglass was beautiful but
much more porous than the cheaper machine-made fiberglass (or ABS
plastic), so the paint bubbled and peeled after a few years; two-ring
pistons are nice for getting minimum friction/maximum horsepower but
they let the bike burn oil at a prodigious rate.

I'd love to get something silly like a Royan Enfield for tooling
around Boston.

I pondered a Royal Enfield a few years back, and still wouldn't mind having one. They are gloriously weird.

An '86 Interceptor 500 would go nicely in my garage. Great balance of power to weight, they figured out the valve thing by then, and the red/white/blue color scheme is still distinctive.