David,

Darn, I wish you would compare the two 300's.  I am still trying to
decide between them.  For me, the close focusing is really the big
issue.  I believe the old 300 is sharp enough, but I'm not sure if
taking a tube on and off is going to be too much of a hindrance (would
be used during some wedding work - usually faster paced).  I am very
glad to hear that the lens is sharp.  Do you have any idea if the
bokeh is good?

Thanks,

Bruce Dayton