on 2012-09-17 22:45 Bipin Gupta wrote
I would now love to hear from our photographer friends, a) for whom a
filter is absolutely sacrilege, b) the Buddha's middle path takers who
say they take the filter off for important events, and c) those who
swear by the filter.

on my better lenses i use good filters (i tried Marumi but they were hard to clean; now using B&W "double-coated" from 2filter.com); on my cheap lenses i use whatever's around or none; i also use hoods to manage flare and protect against bumps, but the filters handle grit, spray and dust; i don't see filters as a major obstacle to getting good shots

that said, my dad, who was a far more accomplished photographer than i am, never used a filter or a hood and regularly wiped his lens with his shirt, or even his thumb