I use filters when they are appropriate for the conditions I'm working
in and when I need them to modify the light entering the lens.

I nearly always have a rigid lens hood fitted to my lenses. The
exceptions are for when I'm using cameras for which a lens hood is too
irritating to deal with (like the X2) or when the lens hood gets in
the way of something (like the internal flash on most compact
cameras). A rigid lens hood serves a dual purpose in protecting the
lens as well as reducing flare.

When not in use, I put a caps on my lenses to protect them.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com